This amazing little chocolate peanut butter swirl recipe has stood me well when I need a cupcake that everyone will love! I don’t remember where I got it from to begin with and I have made several tweeks to it since I got it. But I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy making it! Everyone I know loves this recipe and I get asked for it all the time!
Peanut Butter – Chocolate Twist Cupcakes
Makes: 34 to 36 servings
Serving size: 1 cupcake
Yield: 34 to 36 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes
Prep: 45 mins Stand: 30 mins Bake: 375°F 15 mins to 18 mins Cool: 45 mins
1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
4 ounces milk chocolate, melted
1 recipe Peanut Butter Frosting
1 recipe Chocolate Frosting
Shaved milk chocolate and/or bite-size chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, halved
1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line thirty-four to thirty-six 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. (I used larger ones so I didn’t get as many!)
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add peanut butter; beat until combined. Gradually add brown sugar and granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
3. Place half of the batter into a separate mixing bowl; add melted chocolate. Beat with electric mixer on low speed just until combined (don’t over beat!).
4. Fill prepared muffin cups by alternating spoonfuls of peanut butter batter and chocolate batter, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Use a butter knife or skewer to swirl batter (I use frosting bags.. Makes it less messy!).
5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. (larger cupcakes take longer!) Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
6. In a pastry bag fitted with a star or round tip place Peanut Butter Frosting side-by-side with the Chocolate Frosting. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with shaved chocolate and/or peanut butter cup halves. Makes 34 to 36 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.